The Whitsunday Islands, as part of the world-heritage site of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park, is rightly titled as one of the natural wonders of the world. With an incredible combination of wildlife, history, tropical floral and fauna, not to mention the remarkable coral reefs, the preservation of this spectacular region is at the heart of every action undertaken by locals and visitors alike.
As a business, we are committed to protecting this exceptional environment by reducing our impact on the environment (read more about our environmental policies here), encouraging the long-term health of the Reef and islands through education and awareness and providing a nature-based ecotourism experience.
Whilst you delve into the adventure of exploring the wonders of the Whitsundays, there are a few simply things to can keep in mind whilst on the water and on the islands
- Purging PlasticsPurging Plastics
Coral Sea Marina Resort is committed to becoming plastic free. The marina has made many advancements towards in this area as an accredited Clean Marina Level III, which you can read more about here, and here at the hotel we are also working reducing our environmental footprint.
The Rocks - Restaurant, Bar & Pool Club, along with the other food and beverage outlets within the marina resort, are officially plastic straw free. We have signed The Last Straw campaign pledge as a marina resort precinct and in July 2018 became the first marina resort in the country to have all food outlets signed up to the pledge. In addition, over 120 commercial vessels operating from the marina have also signed the pledge.
We are working towards removing single-use plastics and we have commenced this initiative in 2019 by firstly aiming to become plastic bottle free:
- We have installed three hydration stations throughout the resort precinct and have for sale stainless enviro water bottles at both marina offices and the hotel reception, as well as in the hotel rooms. In addition, single use coffee cups at the Coral Sea Resort Hotel are plastic free BioCups and all guests are encouraged to use non single use cups as an alternative.
- Plastic water bottles have been eradicated from our resort owned food outlets and events venues and have been replaced with canned Wallaby water. Our mini bars at the Coral Sea Resort Hotel have had plastic water bottles also replaced with cans, along with the enviro water bottles for purchase.
Our team sweep the onshore resort precinct daily to limit the amount of plastic and litter entering the waterways. In addition, the marina team conduct a thorough check of the marina via boat on a regularly basis to remove any visible marine debris.
We encourage all our guests to join with us and work to limit unnecessary use of plastics during their stay in the beautiful Whitsundays.
- Hop on BoardHop on Board
Hop on Board
When looking to book a tour, consider the operators own practices. Most of the tours that operate out of the marina resort are Eco Certified. This is a globally recognized certificate and is a sure indication of the operators commitment to developing and promoting sustainable and environmental practices. It assures travellers that those products provide a high quality nature-based tourism experience, to ensure that we can continue to encounter, explore and enjoy the beauties above and below the waves.
- Our Tourism TaglineOur Tourism Tagline
Our Tourism Tagline
You will most likely hear a favourite phrase of ours, “Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints”. It is simple, easy, and so incredibly effective – Leave this wonder as you found it so that it will be there to discover again and again for years to come.
- Eye on the ReefEye on the Reef
Eye on the Reef
This exciting new program, the Eye on the Reef, introduced by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA), is a way that anyone and everyone can get involved in the contribution to the Great Barrier Reef’s long-term health and protection. The program is designed so that any visitor can share their interesting, unusual, amazing, unique experiences out on the Reef with the rest of the program’s community. By sharing photos or reports, the Marine Park can assess and monitor the health of the reef and it’s habitats and work towards a better future for this treasure.
- During your stay...During your stay...
During your stay...
Here are a few things you can do to help us protect our environment during your stay...
- Air Conditioning - We recommend leaving your air conditioner on 24 degrees when you are in your room to create a comfortable temperature in our tropical climate. We also encourage you to ensure your doors and windows are closed whilst the air conditioner is on and that you switch it off when you are not in the room. Air conditioning has an effect on our environment, if you would like to learn more click here.
- Bed Linen - As part of our water conservation initiatives we change your bed linen every three days. Should you require any additional linen changes, please speak with the Guest Services Team. Water conservation helps protect our environment, you can learn more about this here.
- Towels - We will replace your towels when you tell us to, by placing them on the floor of your bathroom. Otherwise, we do encourage you to continue using your existing towels by hanging them up after use. If you would like to find out why we encourage this, please click here.
Small steps like these can help reduce our carbon footprint, protect the environment and keep the Whitsundays beautiful...
- Waste Management - Reduce Reuse RecycleWaste Management - Reduce Reuse Recycle
Waste Management - Reduce Reuse Recycle
We are fully committed to reducing our environmental footprint and to doing our best to protect the environment, operate sustainable, and work towards an environmentally cleaner marina resort.
With this in mind, all staff, contractors and guests are encouraged to Reduce Reusue Recycle. We provide extensive recycling facilities for our guests, commercial businesses and operators. We encourage all visitors to the marina resort to be mindful of their waste management.
Available in both the north and south marina resort villages we have recycling facilities available for aluminum cans, glass, hard plastics, cardboard and paper. At the hotel, staff also have access to recycling facilities. Behind the scenes, Coral Sea Marina Resort staff have implemented recycling systems in all offices to join this cause, including the recycling of aluminum cans, glass, hard plastics, cardboard and paper, as well as bottle lids which are donated to the Lids for Kids scheme.
Similarly, a 'no print' email policy has been adopted throughout the resort and our preferred means of communicating information, promotions and events with our guests is predominantly done electronically to save on unnecessary use of paper.
Containers for Change recycling facilities are now available at the resort hotel, as well as in all staff offices. All proceeds generated through this scheme are donated to Eco Barge Clean Seas in support of their marine debris collection program.
Any questions about our recycling facilities, please speak with the Guest Services team.
- Environmental PolicyEnvironmental Policy
Coral Sea Marina Resort is committed to protecting and preserving the beautiful region of the Whitsundays, that is their backyard, by promoting and delivering environmental management practices and ensuring the long-term health of the environment is maintained across all activities and operations.
Coral Sea Marina Resort undertakes all activities in compliance with the relevant state and federal legislation and aims to ensure that all employees, contractors, and guests of the marina resort not only understand, but uphold, the highest environmental management practices when within the marina resort village – as well as encourage them to continue these practices beyond the marina resort and throughout their visit to the Whitsundays.
- Sustainable TravellingSustainable Travelling
Let’s face facts, travel is not exactly good for the environment. Whether visiting by car or by plane, travel can have an impact that we would rather not think too much about. However, there are plenty of ways that you can off-set these impacts and work towards minimizing your footprint whilst on your explorations.
Here at Coral Sea Marina Resort, we encourage sustainable travelling, greener ventures, and BIG adventures with small footprints.
- Our CommunityOur Community
We love our backyard – the Whitsundays is truly a magical place that we feel honoured to call home and we encourage the local community to join us in our desire to preserve this incredible environment.
We are committed to our local community and in creating a vibrant hub of excitement and enjoyment for our Whitsunday locals, as well as the many visitors we have to our beautiful region.
Find out more about the multiple community and environmental projects that we support, which helps us work towards operating our business sustainably, by clicking here.
- Fish FriendlyFish Friendly
Coral Sea Marina Resort has already attained a Fish Friendly Marina status, which recognises our commitment to actively working to improve fish habitats within the marina environment.
Now we are looking to take the next step, and work towards becoming a marine sanctuary throughout the whole marina resort precinct waters. From making the marina resort precinct a no fishing zone, alongside some exciting new developments for the future, we hope that the waters throughout the whole marina resort area become a healthy and safe environment for Whitsundays marine life.
You can assist us by admiring the beautiful marine life only, so that they continue to thrive.